Sunday, March 4, 2012

Devils Bridge Hike in Sedona, Az




So it has been a little while since I have updated this blog, but so many things have changed!

Apparently Cam and I are no longer going to plan the Appalachian Trail, there is a possibility that they will be moving to Washington soooooooo, the Pacific Crest Trail it will be :-)

In the meantime, I will update this on the hikes I have been on and will be going on this year. I actually have a pretty strenuous schedule for hiking this year - including 3 14'ers this summer! Can't wait to do the first one. Oh! And Did I mention that one week from today I will be hiking the Grand Canyon? Oh yeah!!!! Another bucket list item crossed off! The freaking Grand Canyon!!!!!!

On to Sedona - Sedona was a Bucket List hike for me....why? I am not sure. It is cheap to get to, easily accessible and the hiking is not all that difficult. But I had never been there, so therefore it was a Bucket List item that is now crossed off.

Tisha and I went to visit our friends Shantel and Rachael in Phoenix and while we were there we were going to hike. Now I had no idea where to go and neither did they. I started searching blogs and was surprised at the lack of information out there. Until I came to a post about Devils Bridge, with a photo of a guy sitting on Devil's Bridge all by his lonesome - THATS IT! I have to go THERE!

And go there we did. Well, except Rach, poor thing was sick the whole weekend. We didn't even get to see her.

It was a short, but spectacular hike. I was thoroughly amazed at how beautiful the formations were and they were all around us.The landscape changed every 5 minutes as a storm was rolling its way around the mountains.



As I said, it was an easy hike, but right before you actually get up on the bridge there were some rock stairs that made you go hmmm. After that, it was all just breath taking views! So glas we went, and I certainly have to go back to Sedona and hike more....and see Spring Training of course :-)






Directions to Devils Bridge:


From Phoenix, take I-17 north to Hwy 179 (exit 298). Turn left onto 179 and follow it past the Village of Oak Creek to the Sedona (Burger King) "Y". Turn left at the "Y" onto West 89A. Take this past most of the town until you see Dry Creek Road. This is just a little way past the Giant Gas Station to the right.

Take Dry Creek Road until you see FR 152 (a well-marked dirt road) on the right. Take FR 152 for about 1.3 miles where you will see a parking lot pull off on the right side. There you will find the trailhead marked "Devil's Bridge #120."

While we were there we had to park immediately after turning in. The road was very washed out. So we hiked the 1.3 miles to the Devils Bridge Trail head.




No comments:

Post a Comment