Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Gorp for the Grand Canyon and Backpack Items

Food For Fuel and What's in the Backpack Post

Reports have it that while hiking to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and back out you need to eat around 5000 calories. Now my brain tells me OMG, that is ridiculous! 5000 calories? I try to eat 1300 calories a day and now you want me to have 5000??? But I also know that when I hike or do the incline I am STARVING, so I know that while hiking this beast I will need to eat at some point, therefore I need Gorp. I made it just like I like it with good nutrients, some sugar, and salt. 

  

What is in it? 

Cinnamon Toast Crunch - Carbs, vitamin enriched, and yummmy
Dark Chocolate M&M's - Sugar and yummmy
Dried Apricots and Pineapple - sugar, fiber
Salted Cashews - Protein, salt
 
 Seal a Meal'd them up into individual portions so that I can take some and Alex can take some with her. Alex and Pam will hike a bit of the way down with us then turn around and go back up to the hotel and continue hiking around the rim while we are at the bottom and hiking back up the next day.

When we get to Phantom Ranch we will have a Steak Dinner waiting on us and a Pancake breakfast the next morning. So it may not be the greatest food, but I will not starve to death on the way.


Whats in the backpack?


3 shirts, for layers and the second day. 
extra socks and underclothes
pajamas for sleeping since we will be staying the night at the bottom

 Gorp
Beef Jerky
Luna Bars
Dark Reese's Peanut Butter Cups
Gum!!! Gotta have Gum
Sunglasses
Travel Brush
Scrunchie
 

Rain Poncho
Sunscreen
Mini First Aid Kit
Chapstick
Cough Drops
Blister Pads just in case
Kleenex (because I have been sick, but don't care. I will crawl if I have too)
Antibacterial gel
soap
lotion
deodorant (because nobody likes to be stinky)
toothpaste
q-tips
 Planet Hollywood Shampoo and Conditioner (Courtesy of Jeffy who always brings me his hotel toiletries because I love them)


 My "Bucket List Journal" and favorite pen. This book no one has ever seen but me. Wina bought it for me and because it was Elvis it became my bucket list journal. My Bucket List was transferred into here and whenever I go do something that is on the bucket list I journal it as it is happening. So while I am sitting at the bottom of the Canyon Monday night I will write before bed :-)

Things not pictured:

Chargers for Camera, phone, and Body Bugg
Camera
toothbrush
extra shoes (taking my hiking boots and toe shoes) 
Camelback Bladder that will carry my water. 
Hoodie in case it gets cold 
gloves (because I still have to find them)
trekking poles
a hat, because it is cute and keeps the sun off my face

That should be it I think. I am pretty sure I have all essential bases covered. If not, I will pack it next time when I go back and do Rim to Rim in September or October.



1 comment:

  1. Have you hiked to the bottom of the Grand Canyon yet? I found your post because my hubby and I are wanting to hike down stay over a few nights and hike out. We're thinking in 2014. We have other places planed for 2013. Plus, figuring out all the reservations stuff is interesting. You would think they would get it worked out so people could reserve whatever they need in one place. Anyway, I like your list and hope you had a great hike!

    ReplyDelete